Thursday, August 21, 2014

Back to BSC



The milder weather has been making for a pleasant August, but I find it weird that it seems to rain or storm on Wednesday nights, more so than any other night during the week. (maybe I’m just more cognizant of Wednesdays) Anyway, it drizzled a little starting at around 3:00-3:30-ish up in Hershey. About quarter to four, Rob and I got a text from John asking if we were planning on heading to the quarry. I was willing to give it a shot since the weather report made it seem like the rain was moving West to East, and the line of showers didn’t look like an all-night event. I also figured if someone got to the  quarry first, they’d just grab some tables in one of the pavilions…although John DID mention that he had Jane (the tarp)…so I was pretty confident in the weather. 

After I picked up my wife from work and dropped her off at home, I “high tailed” it down to the quarry, only to find that John, Rob and Jim were the only people ahead of me on the sign in sheet, and all three were standing there talking about the trespassers on BSC property.  I had to off load some Powerade, so I was ready to run back to the restrooms, John and Rob went down and grabbed tables in one of the pavilions. (there was a dive class from York Divers in the other one that was just finishing up)  We set up, and as we did, the weather started to get nicer. (The combination of Jane and having a spot in a pavilion made nicer weather an almost certain thing!)  As we were finishing our set-up and walking to the water, a few other people came, and occupied the other pavilion, I also saw a few people setting up in Upper A.  So the hesitant people were coming out slowly.

Rob was diving in a single 120 tonight since his doubles are up for their annual inspection, that gave us a slight reason for a more conservative dive tonight (no Bus Stop runs, according to John) But we still had a decent plan!  Since he was diving his recreational rig tonight, a few modifications were in order, and an item he needed was still on his Tec Rig. Thankfully, I had the part he needed since I was considering not diving with my light last weekend. John left his inner gloves, but Rob soon remedied that!  Good that we all carry extra stuff! (I was worried I forgot an item, or to do something until we hit 20 feet and there wasn’t a flood!)

We walked over to the long road path, and everyone looked good, so we headed to 20 feet.  No unsuspected bubbles and everyone’s gloves seemed to be sealed (colder water than Dutch Springs, so it was easier to notice) so we continued on.  John lead, Rob and I followed.  We were soon at the CAT and checked in. Everyone was good so we continued down to the Deep Boat.  At the Deep Boat, we kept moving, and looked for the line out to the Step Van.   We followed the line, and were soon passing the debris out in that area.  I’m not sure I recall the back doors of the Step Van being blue?  Maybe I wasn’t as narced as I usually get tonight, so that was interesting.  We checked in with each other and everyone seemed alright. John took his heading, and soon we were following the area Rob and I got lost in LAST week (at least it seemed that was where we were) Approaching the Outhouse from this perspective was a different thing than from the side.  When I saw the roof of it “head on” I wasn’t sure what we were seeing, but a quick swim alongside got my brain back to where it needed to be.  We passed it, and took a trip by the big boulder.  John turned, and we were soon following the wall back over our usual path. At the Pump House, I checked, and the Lobster was where he should be. I gave him a quick wave, and noticed that someone is building a little structure with rock on the front of the Pump House.  Rob and John started up the hill, so I followed. We were soon at the Aqua Adventures truck, and John took a swim through it. Rob and I met him at the back, and it appeared that John asked Rob how much gas he had left.  John started through the bowl, and then went past the Pennsy.  After that, we were doing a rather nice wall dive, slowly ascending to about 30 feet.  Rob and John decided to turn, Rob gave me a signal that appeared to mean “go to 20ft” which I took as a “rolling safety stop”, and I guessed right!   When we got to where John wanted to cross over into the Lagoon (which was logical since we could swim back rather than walk back) we had maybe a minute to two minutes to wait.  John gave the signal to go over into the Lagoon, and we both agreed. Safety stop wound down, and over the road we go.  The visibility didn’t look great, but we were at least able to follow each other’s lights or fins.  I had my light trained on Rob’s fins, and still had a tough time following.  Bumping into things and running aground wasn’t fun.  Soon I lost Rob’s fins, and tried to continue hoping to see him in a minute, thinking “we’re all in the Lagoon, if I need to surface to find someone, or the way out, I’m not going to hesitate” I tried to see what depth I was swimming at, and had a tough time even seeing my computer, right up to my mask!  The visibility was THAT BAD!  I ran into some grass, and thought I must be over towards the wall, so since I hadn’t seen anyone for a short time, I decided to surface.    When I looked around, I saw two sets of bubbles maybe about 10 feet apart and 20 feet away from me, so I dropped back down and tried to intercept. That didn’t work, so I figured, I was done.  I surfaced again, and soon saw John’s head break the surface, then Rob’s.  We were done!   Not a BAD surface swim, but enough.

Duration: 45 minutes
Deepest Depth: 95 ft.
Coldest Temp: 37º

Actually a really good dive! No issues to speak of, and I felt pretty good for the first time in the 119’s! (although I wasn’t overly comfortable in the 130’s at Dutch last weekend) My air consumption looked a little skewed this week, probably because I surface swam face down pretty hard swimming out of the lagoon, but felt pretty good throughout the dive.  Rob ended up with a decent amount in his single, and didn’t seem to have any difficulties.  John came back with more air than he started, so he was good as well!  
We packed, and headed to PizzAtown, where they need to get some more Tröegs in stock! 
That’s it for me, I’m out of here!   I have a commitment this weekend, that will probably prevent me from diving, but I’m not ruling out a little later on Sunday if something (hopefully) changes. (I’ll keep you posted on that)  Five more Wednesday nights left, so get them while you can!

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment