Thursday, September 18, 2014

Close to the End….




I have mixed feelings about this time of year. I love the fact that college football season is in full swing, when my wife and I would go to the Jersey Shore, this was the time of year we usually went. And the temperatures are VERY mild…love that long sleeve t-shirt in the morning, shorts and a t-shirt during the day, and sweatshirts at night. (not to mention not sweltering when getting into your dry suit) But it sucks because Wednesday night diving is over!  (and this year I wish September had 31 days!)  Hard to get back into that Wednesday rut after four months of this!   Trust me…I TRIED last night when I stopped in the shop by stating “hey, we got screwed out of two because of the weather” which was just laughed at by Steve and Susie!   My wife wonders why they don’t just keep doing it until the time change…I do as well, but, no use complaining!   One more left, so get there while the “gett-in’s” good!

As usual, though, I was running a little late due to the fact that my wife knows she needs to leave work earlier on Wednesdays, so she makes appointments early, and still runs late.  I broke a few speed laws on my way to the quarry, but no squirrels or chipmunks were harmed in the process…the deer knew better!   As I arrived, the majority of the usual Wednesday night contingency was already set up, and doing their pre-dive chatting.  Todd was diving with Ron, tonight. (and I wish they’d write a report on their experience! Sounded interesting!) I set my gear up, as Rob (who must have been cold) was getting into his dry suit undergarments.  I did MY usual pre-dive (hitting the Porta-potty) to Rob saying “Take your time”.  I was still mostly dressed before him, and was able to notice that his new toy was on his wrist backwards. (and who says we don’t do proper buddy checks!)  All set and down the steep access we went. 

No plan discussed, but I figured that since he got a new dive computer he’d be putting it through its paces, so I just knew to follow, and keep an eye on any odd path’s, and make sure he didn’t go head first into the Pennsy (God knows it has enough dents in it!)  (I’m talking about his head not the Pennsy...that thing is like a ROCK, I’ve run into it in the bad viz!)  Down to 20 ft. and we were all good with no oddly shaped bubbles to speak of.  The other thing about this time of year is that the visibility is usually crud, so it’s like doing a “Stevie Wonder” dive the first five or so minutes until you get below 60 feet. So past the boats and some of the bottom debris we went.  Seeing how we passed the pipe, I figured that we were taking a different path (I knew that he couldn’t have missed it)  A few more fin kicks and we were at the Aqua Adventures truck. (I remember this one)  We checked in after we passed around the back, and Rob gave the “down” signal, so I agreed.  We started down the hill and were soon staring at the little Lobster on the Pump House.  We followed the bottom of the wall past the 110ft. trench. (which had some NASTY haze on and coming out of it…almost like a witches cauldron…I love being narced!)  We followed along the wall, and over the rocks. I was checking out some of the bottom crud, some stuff looks like rock with crud on it, other stuff is just mounds of crud.  I usually wave my glove over it to watch it move, if it dissipates a little, it’s just dust on a rock, if it just moves, then it’s that jelly crud! We swam along, and soon saw the Tripod Tree.  On Sunday, Rob said he could see the Outhouse from there, so I tried hard to see if I could, and in that hazy visibility, I have to admit that I could see the outline of the top.  We met at the back of the Outhouse (and I was thinking, I could use this about now, that Powerade I drink goes right through me) Rob gave me the “we’re not bothering with the big boulder” signal, so we turned and headed back along the bottom of the wall.  I could see Rob playing with his computer on this part of the trip, so I made sure that the wall wasn’t far off from my left.  After we passed over the trench, I could see him heading out and we passed some of the landmarks on our way to the Deep Boat.  We checked in at the Deep Boat, and everything was still good. Rob went behind, and was following along the top of the wall to the hole a bit, and then we started up the slope and were soon passing the CAT.  Further along up the hill, past the pick-up, and then over into the bowl, which was hazy and a little kicked up.  When we passed around the front of the Pennsy, Rob gave me the “ready to go up?” signal. I had to agree since I REALLY wished I went when we were at the Outhouse!  So up the hill we went to our safety stop spot.  I was having a “sinus” issue in my mask, but saw that Rob wanted to do a valve drill, so I switched to my short hose and got my long hose ready just in case.  Rob did a successful valve drill (well from my perspective) then asked if I wanted to do one, but with my “issue” I decided to forgo it. So we made our way to the exit spot and we were done!

Duration: 46 minutes
Deepest Depth: 94 feet
Coldest Temp: 37º

I WILL have to say that this was one of my most comfortable dives in as far as my trim, and attitude in the water, as well as being just comfortable the whole time.  That’s another thing about this time of year, just when I get that perfect “hang” of things; I don’t dive as much, and can’t continue to perfect how I want to be in the water.  I really think I need to move to Florida and get a job diving…another story…

After we were done Rob commented on how his new computer worked, and as usual there are bugs to work out to get it to where you want it to be, and learn how it all operates.  I think it’s good because between him and Ron (and John) I’ll have a few ‘experts’ to ask by the time I’m able to get one.


After packing, we all went to PizzAtown, and had dinner. Rob and Todd were recalling some memories from a live-aboard trip they both were on, and Ron talked about his recent trip. (a few of our friends are on a trip and nicely put up a picture of them waiting for their boat…. Happy diving guys!  We’ll expect lots of pictures!)

Ok, so that’s it for me I’m OUT of here!   This weekend doesn’t look good for me as far as diving, but I plan on being there for the last Wednesday night dive!   Hope you are going as well!

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment