Sunday, September 14, 2014

Considering the Bus Stop?




Yeah, But not really for long!  First of all neither one of us really knows where it is, what to look for, and how to get back, but it was a good laugh!    Knowing that I’d be around this weekend, I asked Rob if he was up for a dive, and since he had to work on Saturday, Sunday was ok for him. Ron was hedging going to Dutch with his wife, but if that fell through he’d join us, and Todd is always up for a dive. No other takers, but we did put it out there.  I got a note from Ron, and he did end up going to Dutch, and Todd had to back out this morning, so it was just Rob and me.

I pulled up fairly early and checked our usual spot at Upper A, but there was apparently a large class that was taking up most if not all of the tables, so before I attempted fitting in, I took a drive to Lower A, and there was PLENTY of room. So I quick texted Rob, and said, Lower A. (but he missed it and was looking for me up top, and didn’t see me so he came down and found me)  As we were setting up Dave came down to look at the one building to see how damaged it was after the spring and early summer flooding, and told us that the deeper parts were pretty dark, so that put a wrench in Rob’s consideration to hit the Deep Deep Boat.  I was interested in seeing what I missed way off to the left of that path, the one that Rob reeled me in before heading down deep a few dives back, so we considered hitting that possibly.   We both were set up and ready to roll in no time, so we wandered over to the long road access.

We checked out everything, and decided to try to just meet at the CAT since there really wasn’t a 20 foot tree in this path.  When we DID get to about 20 feet (24 exactly) we gave each other a quick check for unruly bubbles, and kept heading.  We were soon looking at the CAT from a different than usual angle. We kept going and headed down to the Deep Boat. As we got to the Deep Boat Rob pointed back towards the wall and I agreed. We were soon passing below the Pump House, and going over the 110 foot trench.  The visibility was really bad as we passed by the small cluster of trees.  I checked out a small plant at the bottom for a second or two, and quickly caught back up with Rob.  Rob pointed out the Tripod Tree, and we were soon not really seeing the Outhouse. (although Rob said he was the outline just after we passed the tree. I may have been at a lower point than him.) We quickly turned at the Outhouse, and started back.  Once we got to the Pump House (and checked the Little Lobster) Rob asked if I wanted to go up or back out. I figured that since we saw the Aqua Adventures truck on land, no need to see this one. (they had a small class going as well)(Rob was considering asking them if he could take a quick trip through their windshield, but opted against it)   So we headed back out towards the Deep Boat.  At the Deep Boat, Rob continued, and we were soon seeing what I saw on the aforementioned dive. It was a plastic pretzel tub, on a stick that was sticking out of the ground.  We swam back towards the pipe, and started down a little. Rob checked his computer (as did I) and we decided that it was probably not a good idea to continue deeper, so we turned and went back up the slope.  Passing the CAT, we were soon aimed towards the Bowl which was pretty kicked up (and cloudy to begin with, if you ask me)  I just kept my light on Rob’s fins, and made sure we were close together as we swam around the bowl.  I almost ran in to the Pennsy it was that cloudy.  Back through some trees, and around some of the other sunken debris, and we were by the boat with the Fuzzy Caterpillar.  Rob went to clean him off, and I think rot is starting to take its toll on the roof rail, because it looked pretty shot, and I’d be willing to bet the Caterpillar is on the ground the next time you pass him by.  We kept going for a little bit through some trees, then turned and headed to our safety stop.  After five minutes, Rob gave me the sign to pop over the road and into the Lagoon, (which was smart since we had to walk up there anyway, may as well swim!)  so, over the road, and through the muck. (to grandmothers house we go)(too easy)  We followed along, and saw pretty much nothing. After a few minutes Rob told me to stay put, and he was going topside to see where we were.  I got stuck on something and by the time I freed myself, Rob was landing on top of me, and pointing where we go to exit.  As we did, he saw the big pipe, so why not swim through it. (I think this is the first time we’ve found it in a long while) We kept following, and over rotted boards, and grasses, and the slope started getting shallower. We were done!

Duration: 57 minutes
Deepest Depth: 96 feet
Coldest  Temp: 37º

Despite the cruddy visibility, it wasn’t that bad of a dive.  All objectives pretty much met, and no major mishaps on anyone part!   The visibility is at the downward slide for this part of the year, and we agreed that it probably won’t get MUCH better until the spring.

We packed our gear and took a quick trip to PizzAtown for a nice relaxing lunch!   Hopefully we have a semi-decent turnout this coming Wednesday, there’s a dive trip happening and a good many of our usuals (and semi-usuals) will be gone for the last two.  Have a great trip guys and girls, take lots of pictures!!!

I will see the rest of you on Wednesday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment