Saturday, May 23, 2015

Holy Visibility, Batman!?!?




It’s getting towards the end of the Spring diving season, and I’m trying to get in what I can get in.  Being Memorial Day weekend, I’m usually out of town from Friday night onward, but I “accidently” got a concert ticket for tonight (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it) so I wasn’t able to accompany my wife to her mother’s last night to start the holiday weekend.  I’ll be going up in the morning! (and immediately pressed into service grilling, but that’s not a BAD thing)  So of course I shot a note to Rob and asked if he was available this weekend, and by some stretch of luck, he happened to be!  So it’s a good thing!

I got to the quarry a little early since I knew that there were a few classes being held, but thankfully none were set up in Upper A…  Plenty of tables to be had!   So I grabbed one close to the steep access, and set up my gear.  Rob showed up shortly after, and noticed that one of the classes were all former co-workers of his, so he had some fun talking to his friends.  Standing on top of the steep access, we noticed that the visibility at the bottom of the hill looked pretty good, and thought that we might have a good dive.  A few people that were in prior to us getting there were talking to another party, and said that the visibility was decent. We were set up in no time, and wandered down the steep path to get ready to go.

After checking that everything was on, and working, we gave the thumbs down and met at the 20ft. tree.  No bubbles we didn’t want, so we continued.  Past the boats, and the trees, along where the Dolphin tower was located, and we were soon at the pipeline.  Over that and along the right side of it and we were staring at the CAT.  With how my allergies were working on my head this week, I was skeptical if I could continue, but everything cleared as I hoped, and we were soon giving each other the thumbs down at the CAT.    As we started down the slope, Rob pointed to the line that was coming up, and it was the one small spool, and bucket that we usually pass on our way back to the Pump House. I think we were at about 60 feet, and that sits at around 85 feet. So there was approximately about 25 feet of visibility.  We also saw some lights coming over the Deep Boat, and it was Jim, and his friend on their scooters.  We passed the Deep Boat as we descended, and Rob headed towards the edge of the wall along the hole.  It was easy to find the line so we started following that.  We were soon at what’s left of one of the buildings, and the tool box, then the Step Van. (which in this visibility looks like it’s starting to disintegrate.)  Rob turned one of the wheels, and we continued back along the edge of the hole.  I could tell Rob was tempted to drop down (as was I)  but I figured he was looking for a landmark.  I was right, and the landmark was the Deep Deep Boat (which you could see from the top of the hole)  So we dropped down, and swam around that for a few minutes.  Rob pointed up the hill, and I agreed.  So we started up the steps, and then along the bottom towards the CAT. (Rob pointed out the pretzel jug on the stick that I saw last year)  At the CAT, Rob pointed to the line and I agreed. So we went along that as a deep stop until we came to the Aqua Adventures truck.  We swam around the back of that, and over the pipe towards the wall.  We then followed the wall for a few minutes until Rob turned us.  Back along the wall and through some trees, and we were nearing our safety stop.  Rob gave me the “do you want to go over into the Lagoon sign” and I agreed, so we found the 20ft. tree and started our safety stop.  A few minutes into it, I was looking at something below me, and tilted a little more to the right than I wanted, and some air went into my left leg, I started to ascend in a way I didn’t want to ascend, so I flipped over and spent a little time at 12 feet, before coming back down to 20.  Rob gave me a “where were you look?” and I just waved.  After our five minutes were up, Rob pointed over the road, and I agreed. He found a spot that was a little deeper, and we popped over into the Lagoon.  Since there was a class, I figured that the Lagoon would be kicked up, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected.  Rob soon found the pipe, and we did a quick swim through, and then followed over the platform out towards the back wall.  We ascended slightly (I think Rob had a cramp) and then headed in to the beach and we finished our dive!

Duration: 52 minutes
Deepest Depth: 111 Ft.
 Coldest Temp: 36º

Except for the slight mishap on the safety stop, I have to admit that was one of my best dives in recent times!   Nothing to really complain about, everything worked the way I wanted it to work, and I felt pretty comfortable throughout.   Rob seemed to enjoy his dive as well, although admitted a few cramps (I’ve been pretty good in that dept. knock on wood)  Rob was also thrilled that his former co-workers were in a dive class. This was something he tried setting up while he was with the Harrisburg Fire Department, but could never get approved.  With a new Mayor and city council, they were able to get it approved, and this is something that will benefit the city!

After we finished packing we went to PizzAtown, for some lunch!  I will be out of town for another concert next weekend, and not able to get out, so my next time should be the first Wednesday night of the season, I can hardly believe we’re at that point already!   Times flies when you start getting old!

So enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend, be careful grilling. (and driving home after a few cold frothy ones) I will see you on June 3rd!

No comments:

Post a Comment