Thursday, June 4, 2015

Welcome to Wednesday Night 2015!




Well, it’s the beginning of June, and the beginning of Wednesday night diving!  Always a nice thing to do during the summer, it keeps the middle of the week fun.  Several people I haven’t seen since last season were mulling about the shop as I signed in, Ron arrived just as I did, so after signing in, we made our way back to Upper A.  John showed up soon after, and we started setting up, and talking about where to go.

John and Rob made a trip out to the Boiler last weekend, and the visibility was pretty decent, so we figured that it may be still in pretty good shape so why not try it again.  John also mentioned that there was a deceased animal down the slope of the steep access at Upper A, so we decided to avoid that for the time being with the idea of rinsing your mask out so close to something like that isn’t probably a good idea, so the long road access would be our entry point.

Once we were all set up we went to 20 feet for a bubble check. Ron’s wing hose was loose and leaking a little, so John quickly tightened it, and after that we had no bad bubbles, so the thumbs down was given and we headed towards the edge of the wall.  Following the wall we passed by the pipes, and continued on. As we swam further, John found his landmark, and we started over the wall and along the bottom.  Earlier in the dive, I went to check my computer, and noticed that the magnifying part of my lens was fogged up, so I had to shine my light and try to hold my arm out a little further to see my numbers. (I think I need longer arms)  After our venture down the hill, I just followed John’s fins and kept an eye out for Ron’s light.  We swam for a little while, so I decided to check my computer, and as I did I, I picked up some muck with my arm and noticed I was just about to hit bottom. I quickly held my breath so I would rise up a little, and I did, thankfully. John JUST missed hitting, and I wasn’t sure what Ron was doing.  We were quickly back on track, and John was looking for the Boiler.  He saw something that showed him we passed it, so we turned a little, and were soon coming up on the bench that’s next to it.  We all checked in and then continued on. John gave us the heading to the wall in case we got separated.  We followed John back out towards the wall, and were soon passing over the Deep Deep Boat, next to the steps.  Seeing where we were in the water, I estimate that the visibility was about 15-18 feet at that point, we were swimming at around 100 ft. and the boat below us is usually at around 118ft.  Up past the steps, and over towards the Deep Boat. I noticed on my computer that I had about a minute or two before I went into deco, but as we were starting to ascend, I wasn’t too worried about it. We were soon at the Aqua Adventures Truck. John swam through, and Ron and I went around back.  John motioned towards the wall, so we agreed and followed.  We were soon at our safety stop. About three minutes in I moved my foot and kicked Ron, so I went back around him and felt a little floaty so I made friends with a tree.  John did a valve drill to pass the time, and we were soon done.  So we followed the wall a little until we were back near the long road access, and finished the dive.

Deepest Depth: 118ft.
Duration: 47 minutes
Coldest Temp: 36º

Not a bad dive, really!  Except for the slight run in with the bottom, (well and kicking Ron) I felt pretty good throughout. Ron was to my left, which was strange to get used to, since I usually stay to Rob’s left, but it wasn’t THAT big or a problem, just a little awkward here and there, looking to the right and not seeing Rob.  I’m guessing that since the sun was stuck behind the clouds, the visibility wasn’t as good as it COULD have been.  When we were at the Deep Deep Boat, it was fairly plain to see in the darker ambience that the visibility was still pretty decent.  Hopefully this week brings better sunshine!

After we packed, we headed to PizzAtown for some MUCH needed nourishment!   I’m hoping to get out this weekend, but if not, expect more next Wednesday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment