Saturday, June 6, 2015

It’s a Nice Day…




…Why not dive!?    I’m loving the summer because it just has to be a nice-ish day, and there’s a reason to go to the quarry!   My wife has been out of town for a few days (Niece’s prom, I guess she’s the “fashion consultant”  More like Aunt Lisa will foot the bill for hair and nails! Hahaha!)  So I’m home with the cat, some full cylinders, and nothing but time!   Rob was able to get out this weekend, so it was the perfect scenario.  Meet in Bainbridge at our usual 10:00am, and “get one in”!

 It looked like another weekend of yard sales as I drove down to the quarry…several places had tables set up, some with tarps over them so they can sleep in AND start at the crack of dawn!   I woke up early, and spent my morning with my cat, who’s a little under the weather, but loving the sunshine, and fresh air (as am I…but I can carry a mug of coffee on our morning walks through our fenced in courtyard)  After a few “wanders” around our yard, I finished packing my car, and made my way to Bainbridge.  No one in the shop when I got there, but there was plenty to talk about as usual.  I went down to the water and set up my gear. About 10:15 Rob pulled up (a little late) because he was subjected to the usual chatter in the shop. (that’s why I stop in early!) There was a dive class working at the other end of Upper A, so we tried to stay out of their way, and set up. (Rob reminded me about this via text)  We also took a quick walk down the steep access to see if the deceased ground hog was still floating amongst the rocks, but he was removed (or there's a snake with a big bulge slithering around out there)  Rob also said that there was a nasty smell from the poor little critter, but that was no longer present as well!


Once we were all ready to roll, we waddled down the steep access, finished our set up and gave the “thumbs down” to meet at 20 ft. to look for any errant bubbles. Everything looked like it was supposed to look, so the thumbs down was given to continue and off we went.  Past the boats and through the trees by the Dolphin tower, and Pennsy, and we were soon staring at the pipe. Following that we were at the CAT in no time at all, and making sure that all parties involved were feeling ok, we were, so the order was given to continue descending.  At the Deep Boat, we searched for the pipe, with the line attached, and were soon swimming along the ridge towards the wood pile, and tool box.  The Step Van was just off in the distance, but Rob was already taking his heading to find the Outhouse.  After a bit of a swim, I got the “Not finding it” signal, and we continued on.  Rob saw it, but it took me a little while to see the line that lead back to where we came. We passed the Deep Boat again, and then followed the terrain out to the Pump House and along the bottom of the hill.  Over the rocks, and through the trees, and we were soon at the Tripod Tree which meant that we WERE going to see the Outhouse, just not in the order we were hoping.  At the Outhouse we continued past, and checked out more of the boulders in that area.  Rob gave the “go back” signal, and we followed again along the edge of the ridge until we were close to the Pump House again. We started up the hill, and at the line, Rob pointed, and we were on our deep stop. (and if I remember correctly, that line was at 60 feet last season, only at around 57-58 ft. this year.)  Back at the Cat, we continued along the terrain, and were soon passing the big rocks and Pennsy again (where it got really cold)  Rob gave me the “I’m cold” signal, and I agreed, so we started towards our safety stop.  When we got to our usual tree, there were a few people taking their safety stop (although they were standing and kicking things up, which I don’t understand because two of them were holding on to one of the trees)  …so we decided to take our safety stop at 25 feet instead (since we had no deco obligations)  and waited for five minutes. Rob was going to attempt a valve drill, but with the decreased visibility, opted to pass on this particular trip. We were done, and finished our dive.

Deepest Depth: 96 ft.
Duration: 47 minutes
Coldest Temp: 37º

Good dive considering the decreased visibility, and our missed navigation. (I’m no help, so…)  I was also diving with my 119’s which I haven’t used in a while (since I didn’t get the 130’s refilled yet from Wednesday)  But all in all it was a really good relaxing dive!

The class was taking their surface interval, and a family decided to wander up from the tracks, only to be asked if they were members…they were quickly turned around and back over the train tracks.  After packing we made a bee-line for PizzAtown for a quick lunch, and both of us had shopping obligations to pursue.

Hoping to get my fills on Monday night and hope to see you all again on Wednesday!  The summer is young, and the diving is there!

No comments:

Post a Comment