Thursday, July 30, 2015

ALMOST a Barn Run!




Ok, it’s been a while ( I know, only two weeks, but…) so I had to remember things. Not too bad, though.  It IS the time of year when things get warm, and you sort of wish you decided to do that 3mm/single tank/Lagoon dive while you were setting up, but I guess it could have been worse. (and God knows it has been)  But alas, my 3mm is too big on me, and I haven’t gotten a new one yet, so that suggestion went to the wayside.  Ok, it’s been humid lately,  and the fact that I was sweating like the proverbial pig while I was packing my car only proved that tonight was going to be a moist one!  (and I’m glad that I wasn’t able to wash my under garments after my last dive due to heading out of town the next day)(don’t worry, I hung them before I left so they at least aired out) But that’s enough of the complaining about the weather…

Back to the quarry for the last Wednesday of July, hard to believe that we’ve gone through two months of it already and only have nine more weeks left, get them while you can!  Rob is still working off of his single, so it was a no brainer to assign him to our “guest” diver tonight, Jim! (who was diving in a wetsuit and single as well)  John got stuck with me since I had my doubles (but a lighter fill than normal due to the recent  compressor issues) The plan was basically for me to stay with John, and Rob and Jim stay together in case one or both needed to finish earlier.  John gave us his thoughts for where to go, and we all agreed.

We dropped in at the bottom of the steep access, and met at the tree for our bubble check, nothing seemed wrong, so we continued through the murky visibility, through trees, and under pipes until we found ourselves at the Aqua Adventures truck.  We checked in, and everyone was still good, so we started down the hill. At about 80 feet, we started following the wall, and were soon at the Tripod Tree, which meant that the Outhouse was soon to appear.   At the Outhouse another check was performed, and we were all still good to go. John continued past the big boulder (The “Volkswagen Rock”, go read the 6/17/2015 report if you aren’t sure why) and over the vast nothingness of the bottom of the quarry.  At one point Rob tagged John and said that they were going to head back, so they got the “OK” and John and I continued on. We were soon at a toolbox that neither one of us remembers seeing before (although thinking about it later on, realized that it IS on the map) and then at a toolbox that we knew, not far from that. (The “new” toolbox is midway between the toolbox we know, and the barn) Passing that tool box, and the collapsed building (and step van) we soon found the line that follows the edge of the deep hole towards the Deep Boat.  As we were swimming along, I noticed that the gunk on the line was coming off of it, and that the line was getting closer to me; my reel got snagged and I was pulling it, so I unsnagged it. (John said he just thought I was cleaning it off, I’m not that efficient) We were soon passing the Deep Boat, and John gave the signal to start heading up the slope, so I agreed. We were soon passing the CAT, and following the line back to the Aqua Adventures truck for a deep stop, then heading back in through the trees and boats until we found our safety stop area. Five minutes later, we headed back to the exit and completed our dive.

Duration: 48 minutes
Deepest Depth: 93 feet
Coldest Temp 36º

Not a horrible dive considering the little lay off I had, but not perfect. Stayed a little closer to the bottom than I wanted, and felt like my feet were very floaty this trip, but otherwise, I made it back in one piece with everything I took with me, so that’s a positive!   After packing we were ready to go see what kinds of beers that PizzAtown had for us, and had our dinner. 

This weekend is another bust for me, but unless something changes, next Wednesday looks like another fun evening, so I’ll see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment