Thursday, August 6, 2015

Can I Get a Do Over?





We’ll get to that part in a sec… Saturday morning, I was having my coffee, half asleep,  minding my own business, and looking at Facebook on my cellphone, while sitting in the kitchen at my mother in law’s (ok, I was trying to ignore the usual conversation while having my coffee, my mother  law telling my wife what’s wrong with her life, and what she needs to do to improve it in order to meet HER standards) and I saw Jim Brown post on Facebook “Thank you BSC for the SCUBA memories since 1998”  so I ‘liked’ it, thinking that maybe it was some anniversary of their opening, or a milestone of his or something. A few minutes later, I see an instant message pop up, and since I don’t have “messenger” installed on my phone. (because it’s a pain at 3:00am when someone sends a drunken group message and my phone starts making weird noises) So I went up to grab my iPad a few minutes later curious to see what it was. When I opened it, it was from Jim and said “Hi Ben. BSC is sold to Waste Management. Ceasing scuba operation on August 23. Damn!”  I almost dropped my iPad!  And what came out of my mouth is something I won’t print here (although it’s perfectly acceptable in my mother in law’s house)(in Italian as well as English)  After about a five minute conversation, I went about my day, shocked to say the least.  Sleep wasn’t easy that night… and the shock is still somewhat mind numbing; It’s just not something you expect.  And after hearing some of the conversation, you have to wonder.

So…After tonight, the current plan is attempting this Saturday, Wednesday the 19th for the last Wednesday Night Dive, and I think Saturday the 22nd (to avoid the possibility of an over influx of 80-billion people on the 23rd which is the last official day)  Since the local dive shop is having their Dutch Springs “event” on the 16th, I’m not sure anyone will want to go the 15th, but my options are open. (and I won’t be able to attend on Wednesday the 12th due to a prior commitment)  So that’s it kids unless something changes, and according to Susie there is some possibility, but it sounds like a political cluster****, and not entirely likely in the near future.

Now back to our story….

Back on track (for the moment), and the first Wednesday (and dive) of August for me, Got a fill Monday, but not of the full strength of Nitrox that I wanted, but as I said after analyzing, not just air.  As I arrived, John was in the shop chatting with Susie and we decided to head on back to the water.  Not long after we arrived Rob showed up, and we were talking to Frank, one of the regulars who was without a partner for the night, so we let him tag along with us. 

Frank dropped his pony bottle and fins down the long road, so we ended up starting there.  Rob paired up with him, and I was with John.  We dropped in and did a quick bubble check at 20 feet.  As everyone seemed to have the right stuff coming from the right places, we got the thumbs down and started…well not so fast, I wasn’t able to go any further.  John looked up at me, and I seemed to be stuck at 20 feet.  I finally started descending, so I gave John the OK, but as I hit about 25 I got stuck again. I finally was able to descend a little more, and got to 40 feet, but no one was to be seen. So I spun around for about two minutes, and swam back and forth, and didn’t see any lights, so I figured that I better ascend.  I saw two patterns of bubbles nearby, and one ascended.  We regrouped, and decided to try it again.  This time it worked, but as usual when you go a second time (at least in my case) you never get 100% comfortable.  So we dropped past a platform, and passed the gear and were soon at the CAT.  We dropped down the hill and went to the Deep Boat. Since we wasted a little time with my issue, and a few people weren’t carrying full cylinders, John opted to not go to the Deep Deep Boat, and followed the ridge out towards the old collapsed building and Toolbox, by the Step Van.  From there, he took a heading and we started out to the Outhouse.  After passing the Outhouse, John was giving me the “keep up” signal, but I was trying to clear a cramp from my left leg (I’m guessing the Bicep’s femoris muscle) and was only using my right leg to swim.  I think I finally got it cleared (but it was sore)  and was able to keep up a little better as we got closer to where the  Pump House was.  John gave the ascend signal, so we all went to the line and did our deep stop out to the CAT.  At the CAT we turned in and went through a very kicked up bowl until we found our safety stop area.  John did a valve drill, and I did my best not to kick Frank, who I saw out of the corner of my eye to my left. Five minutes later we were done.

Duration: 45 minutes
Deepest Depth: 93 feet
Coldest Temp: 36º

As I said, one I wish I could do over.  Not my best dive, again. Just didn’t feel comfortable most of the dive, I think I got to a point where I was getting comfortable when we were closing in on the end of the line, but then I started having trouble once the cramp started. I’m also starting to wonder if I might need to carry a little more weight, since I have been feeling “floaty”.  Maybe I’ll experiment on Saturday if we get out. (and it might be a good idea anyway if I don’t top off my cylinders) We’ll see. 

We went to PizzAtown for a quick dinner to celebrate Rob’s birthday, and were joined by some old friends who happened to be coming by (Jeff and Annette) it was good to see them, and share a couple cold ones!  (although their pizza looked entirely TOO healthy for my taste)

Well…the countdown begins, just going to try to see what we can get in before things cease to exist, and hope that something might change in the near future. Ok, it’s nice that we’re getting our membership fee’s back, but I’d rather be diving.

See you soon….

No comments:

Post a Comment