Saturday, August 8, 2015

Getting them in….



I was planning on getting here this weekend anyway, but with what’s happening, it has a little more meaning.  Each time I drive up, I hope that there’s some different news, but there’s just more stuff being sold at a premium.  I don’t need more cylinders, and the gear that they have for sale is either stuff I don’t need or don’t want.  (or pretty ratty) As I drove up to Upper A I saw it was pretty packed, so I looked over the hill, and Lower A was pretty full as well, so I found a lone table in the corner, and figured that we could make do with it. So I parked and unpacked.


Rob showed up shortly after me, and we started getting things ready. As soon as I analyzed my breathing gas, and went to set up my computer, I got the “change battery” message. So I figured, “may as well”, so I got it in, asked for a second opinion, and Rob thought it looked good, so I stuck it back into the bungie mount holder (easier with warm water), but for some reason the code to my transmitter got fouled up (may have been when I was attempting to reset my time and date)  but I got it reset. (Rob knew right where to go) Crisis averted. (I prefer doing that in the quiet of my own home, not when I have a dive in 20 minutes, oh well)


Rob thought that since there were a few classes being held, that it might be a better idea to try to get as far away from the bowl area as possible, and head out past the Outhouse and along the wall, I thought that was a good idea, thinking the same thing as far as things getting kicked up.  Once we were set, we wandered down the steep access, and checked each other, everything looked good, so we descended and found a tree at 20 feet to see if any bubbles were leaking. Nothing to speak of, so we were good to continue. The visibility in this area was already pretty nonexistent, and even following Rob around a tree proved to be a tough thing, we got lost that easily, but we found each other though, and continued on through the nothing-ness.  We finally found a landmark we recognized, and headed to a spot to drop down the slope.  We descended to the Pump House, and Rob tried to find the little lobster that we’ve befriended over the years, he was missing, so apparently someone already claimed him, or hid him where we can’t find him. (I also found out that John was the one that put him there originally, I don’t think I knew that!)  We kept swimming past the rocks, and out along the bottom of the wall.  We were soon passing the Tripod tree, and heading to the Outhouse.  Rob went right, and I went left, and we met behind it.  Rob pointed towards the wall and I agreed, and followed.  We hit about 80 feet, and just took a nice leisurely swim along the bottom of the hill, checking out the twisted corrugated metal in different spots, and old railroad ties here and there. At the rate we were going I thought that maybe we would just start back along at a shallower depth, but Rob gave me the turnaround sign, and I agreed, and followed.  We were mostly above 90 feet at this point, and headed back to the Pump House. We both gave it another quick look, shrugged, and ascended to the line that leads to the CAT for a deep stop. (Rob also wanted to check for a toy car on that, but someone apparently grabbed another souvenir)  After our deep stop, we started back in, through the cruddy visibility to the boat with the fuzzy caterpillar on it. Rob gave it a shake, then gave me the signal to go take our safety stop.  Rob fed a few fish, and I annoyed some while just checking rocks, and we were done!

Duration: 46 minutes
Deepest Depth: 92 feet
Coldest Temp: 36º

A nice leisurely dive on a Saturday to take your mind off of things…well not really, but it sounded nice.   It actually was a nice leisurely dive, but it’s hard to not think of the immediate future of the quarry, and the convenience that it has for everyone.  Anyway, I did a slight change with my weighting from last Wednesday, and used 10 pounds instead of eight; Rob said I looked a little better in the water. I felt a little more comfortable, so I may keep this for a while to see how it works.

After  getting out of the water, we watched the Open Water class get suited up for their next dive, and it was cool to see a little kid getting ready to go, if I only started at that age instead of 11 years ago! (or if I WAS his age 11 years ago, I’d only be about 22-23 by now!)

I have a prior commitment on Wednesday, so I won’t be able to attend, We’ll see about the 15th, but I will be out on the 16th (The 16th is Dutch Springs)  Until, then, I hope you all have fun, and if YOU get to do SNUBA, I hope YOU get to go to 90 feet!   (Ask me about that one)
See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment